Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Tank Museum



Above is a picture of the front of the tank museum at Bovington, which I visited last week. Strangely, Patch did not seem inclined to join me in this particular adventure. I'm not sure why!

Anyway, I've seen signs for the tank museum many times when travelling down towards the south west, for various reasons, over the years, but I've not really made the time to go visit before. The museum was on our list of things to see and do while we were in the Poole area - because I could.

I was expecting a decrepit collection of rusty old tanks huddled in and around WWII era nissan huts, or similar, but no, the building you see is it - the Tank Museum. A really pleasant surprise.

There are a few tanks on display dotted about outside, but all the good stuff is inside, in warm, modern accommodation, with a great restaurant for that all important cuppa when the need arises.

Things only got better once I had paid for my ticket (which is valid for an entire year) and got inside.

As it happened, I had the extreme good fortune to start my visit at almost exactly the time a guided tour of 'the story of the tank' was supposed to start - and I was the only person there for the tour...

The entire history of tanks from the very first creation, all the way up to the modern day battle tanks is particularly fascinating, brought to life by a particularly well informed tour guide.

After a few hours I was pretty much tanked out, but will definitely be back for more before too long.

An amazing day, and well worth the visit.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your visit and can go again within the year!

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete