Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lymington trip

Visiting LymingtonHere you see Arctic Rose nestled in at one of the big marinas in Lymington.

After an initial, somewhat undignified, attempt with the sails in Southampton water, we sailed down the western Solent in a good strong breeze, with the main, headsail and mizzen up.

The wind was getting progressively stronger until I got to the stage where I could not steer Arctic Rose that well, so we dropped the main and carried on sailing pretty much all the way to Lymington.

I've learned that I need to get somewhat more proficient with the sails before attempting to tack Arctic Rose down Southampton water.

I now understand so much better why I've always seen so many sail boats motoring about the place, instead of sailing everywhere.

I'm sure that once I've worked things out, and have a system that works for us, we will sail more and motor less.

The learning continues...

2 comments:

  1. That's a busy place you're learning in Tim - if you can do it there, you can do it anywhere!

    Pay no heed because I'm a novice but my tip is to make sure you have speed before tacking in a big boat, even if it means bearing away from the wind slightly before making the turn.

    Looks great though.

    Nostalgiaman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there nostalgiaman

    Thanks for that.

    Every bit of help counts.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete