Thursday, April 21, 2011

Webcam

WebcamThe eagle eyed amongst you would most likely have spotted the webcam image to the right of my blog page is now updating.

Yup, I've finally got my webcam up and running, and just today upgraded the camera to a slightly better model.

To see it in all it's glory, go to my webcam page here. It should now stay up more or less permanently, unless there is some kind of communication problem of course.

What I've done, is implemented the webcam on a Phidgets SBC (Mine is a slightly older model), the same SBC I use for reporting voltages, temperatures and pressures.

The reason for using an SBC is it hardly draws any power at all, yet does a respectable job as a Linux computer in it's own right.

It's all still a bit of a work in progress, of course. The story of my life I guess.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:41 PM

    Out of curiosity, how do you get internet connectivity on LJ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous

    I use a 3G connection.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim

    Could you post a few more details as to how your setup works? I would like to set up a couple of cameras, covering my front door and the driveway at the back of my house. Everything could be cabeled back to my router, is this similar to your setup?

    Thanks

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim,
    Wondering how the wind generator is doing where it is located now ?

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark

    I think it's best if you check out the Phidgets website, to see if that works for you, as your setup is likely to be different to mine.

    Alternatively you may want to research wireless webcams, which may be an option for you.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bill

    The wind generator is doing pretty well. I regularly check the battery voltage while I'm not on board, and see the wind generator keeps this topped up pretty well.

    You can just see the wind generator on the starboard side, up there on the foredeck.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete