Most of my time seems to have been spent painting and building the workshop space, so it's a pleasure to look back through my blog and see just how much has been achieved.
At the end of the year:
- Lady Jane has much more paint on her, so the constant war on rust starting to go my way, at least for now.
- The damage from the Humber Star collision has been repaired and that whole incident is just a memory and a few indignant posts on the blog.
- I've made huge strides in insulating and wood panelling inside the heads, galley and upper engine room. More to be done there.
- The engine room has benefited from some tender loving paint care.
- The engine has new telemetry fitted, though this particular project has some way to go yet.
- I have a new workshop space, which to some extent replaces the gazebo I had on deck for working in the rain.
- The whole 24/240V power system has been significantly enhanced.
It must be said that none of this would have been achieved without the help of my mates. In particular Fred, who has worked tirelessly despite difficult personal circumstances.
For me, now having a 3.5KW inverter charger along with the wind generator performing properly has been a major turning point on board.
Previously whenever I needed any power, I almost always had to run the small generator. The thinking was for minimal power usage I would use the battery bank and 1KW inverter. Anything needing more than 1KW, or sustained power, would need the generator. I also used to let the generator run and run so the battery would charge and the battery refreshers would work.
Now I have the Inverter charger, and with the wind generator doing it's job, I very rarely use a generator. The batteries, because of the refreshers and re-vitalised wind generator, have got to a state where the wind generator can keep the battery refreshers working in a relatively light wind (>25.6V) while I'm not on board and the power is off. This, in turn, accelerates the pace at which the batteries ability to hold their charge improves. Currently the batteries hold their charge to about 25.0V. A vast improvement on the 24.1V I started at.
The setup I now have means I can use the batteries for virtually all my power requirements while I'm on board, without needing a generator at all. Of course reasonable conservation of power still has it's place here, and having some wind about does help.
Oh yes, and power 'failures', upsetting the radio or heating system, while I switch over from battery to generator or generator to battery are a thing of the past.