Friday, December 17, 2010

So simple

It often seems it's the simple things that make the most difference.

Ever since I've owned a digital camera, I've struggled somewhat with copying pictures from the camera or it's card.

The issue has been one of sheer tediousness, and the potential for missing pictures.

I have to go to the directory where the pictures are stored, then find the highest number image I've saved.

I then have to go to the camera or camera card directory, find the number after the highest copied.

I then have to highlight the un-copied pictures and drag/drop them into their final destination directory.

It's not difficult, I know, but tedious. I also suspect that I'm not the only one struggling with this.

While doing something else earlier, it suddenly occurred to me that I could knock up a program to do this job for me.

In fact, the program lists all the files in a destination directory, defined just once on the camera/card, and copies all the files that are on the camera/card that have not already copied.

Suddenly, this task is quick and easy - I should have done this years ago.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:42 PM

    Tim you are operating on a higher level than poor old me! tie knots,splice ropes,spin yarns.but this stuff gives me a headache just trying to grasp the basics here.You mean your camera does not have a FILM!!Beam me up scotty!!
    Happy Christmas Tim.Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you were able to write a program that tells your camera which files to upload the pictures into? You're too on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John

    :)

    If I don't see you before then, happy Christmas.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dennis

    The program I wrote automatically copies any pictures/movies on the camera not yet copied to the PC.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete