Friday, December 10, 2010

Skip boat

Skip boatSome time ago, when I was planning on getting rid of the wood from my deck, Rob suggested I float a skip across the river, fill it, then float it back again.

I think you guys in the US call skips dumpsters? I'm not sure.

At the time, I was taken with the concept. Not that I intended to do it though, on account of the dire risk of the thing tipping over and sinking.

The consequences and subsequent clean-up effort would have been unthinkable.

Today though, when I arrived on board Lady Jane, I saw this skip in the water just down the river from me (right there in the middle of the picture).

I thought that was just too priceless a photo opportunity to miss!

9 comments:

  1. Tim,
    You are correct, we call skips ( dumpsters ) here in the US.

    Bill K
    Toledo Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wood-eye have reccomended something that was dangerous, or that I hadn`t tried out successfully??? :o)) Sorry I didn`t mean to call you "would I" :o))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred (WWR)5:42 AM

    Yup! Looks like a dumpster to me :) Looks like those two guys are just lowering it into the water as you took the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:03 PM

    Tom Cunliffe motored a skip down a river in a TV programme about landing craft. I think the point was to demonstrate that the landing craft hull shape was clever, because a skip-shaped box wouldn't have worked. The actual skip worked better than they'd expected, so it wasn't the best demo :-)

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bill

    I thought so - thanks.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rob

    The idea did have some appeal :)

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Fred

    It wasn't there long, so I've no idea what they were up to.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pete

    I can't imagine a skip would be very stable, especially some of the smaller ones.

    It would be fun to try though.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete