Monday, October 18, 2010

A rant

A few weeks ago I had to buy razor blades for the razor on the boat. Easy you might think....

First of all, the supermarkets would have you believe there are two brands, Gillette and Wilkinson, but their blades all look the same to me.

So far as I'm concerned, a razor comprises two parts, the handle, which is basically only a small stick, and the blades, which just have to cut my facial hair and not me. Beyond that I don't really care.

If the blades are coated in lark's vomit, or whatever it is the manufacturers claim, I just don't care, I consider Mine is an average face which merits no special attention, other than cutting that stubble.

Anyway, I bought Gillette blades (£ 10.00 for eight I think) . When I got on the boat I discovered I had a Wilkinson razor and the Gillette blades, of course, would not fit (packaging opened - so no return possible).

This was not the end of my world, as I've been through this cycle before, and I've the other brand at home - Even though I don't need blades for it for the foreseeable future.

The next week I bought some Wilkinson blades, another £ 10.00 or so for eight of the things. Of course, when I went back to the boat the next week I discovered the blades did not fit the handle. It seems that every few years the design changes so now, like it or not, I more or less had to go and buy a new Wilkinson razor.

Back to the shops for a new handle the next week - £ 11.00 or so for a handle and a few more blades.

Now I'm over £ 30.00 quid down and awash with spare razor blades and I just know I'm likely to repeat the cycle in a few years time, when I finally run out of blades again.

To add a final insult to this whole sorry affair, I slashed my hand when I was opening the new razor packaging.

On reflection, it seems far more sensible to consider going electric in future.

12 comments:

  1. Or grow a beard and become a real salty dog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use both, an electric initially and periodically finish with a wet razor for a great shave. best electric, is Ronson but the foils don`t last forever, but can be bought on the internet easily and fitted even easier, (Loads of razors Philishave are crap if you have any sort of a growth, loads of hype and no action) just one wet razor does me for years as I only use it when I feel that I need too(ie when the electric razor misses the longer softer facial hairs of the neck. best of luck Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had the same problem, I tried one of the new one with the swivel head and could not get it where I wanted it to go.

    Bill K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fran

    Hmm - probably not!

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bill

    All I'm after is a simple life.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pissed as I wanted to cut down on my plastic consumption and wanted to buy a metal razor handel so I just needed to replace the blades. I had one about 35 years ago, but they don't seem to sell them any more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I thought I was the only man who had this problem. I now have two different types of razor handles but when I go to buy blades, still manage to buy the wrong ones. The last trip to the store I gave up and bought some descent disposable razors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fred (WWR)4:26 AM

    Well, you could always sell them on eBay :) . I realize the whole affair wasn't funny to you, but it made a great comedy routine here :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rhianna

    It seems to me that it's impossible to live without plastic on one form or another, no matter how hard we try.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dennis

    It's a conspiracy :)

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Fred

    Selling on eBay is all very well and all that, trouble is it's more trouble than it's worth most of the time.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete