Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Waverley engine

Gleaming engine roomSo this is a shining example of how I'd like Lady Jane's engine room to look.

In my dreams!

If you look carefully at the picture, you will see that absolutely everything has been polished up. Even the various funnels and containers they are using.

The Waverley has a handy gallery from which you can view the engine running, so tourists like me can hang over the rails and gawp at the engine running.



The video clip shows the engine going both astern and forwards, in response to telegraphed signals, as the skipper manoeuvers alongside at Yarmouth pier.

FYI - the whoooo noise you hear in the video clip is apparently the used steam return pump operating and is completely normal.

The engineers and crew can be justifiably proud of how spick and span that engine room looks.

10 comments:

  1. That had to be one neat experience.

    Thanks for the video. :))

    Bill K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going on older vessels. That had to be a heck of an experience to watch the engine at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred (WWR)1:43 AM

    I love the switch gear with polished brass panels. Reminds me of the ship I use to be on, the Captain use to go around with a pocket knife scraping paint off anything he thought might be brass or copper. If it was He'd have someone removing the paint and polishing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. certainly a labour of love! I have passed her many times at sea (channel) (once more memorably in the Thames estuary getting a bol*ocking from the harbourmaster I think, for some infringement) Id love to have a go especially as its a paddler. Thanks for the video Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bill

    I've another video to post, showing the engine going at a good ol clip.

    I fear I may have not done the old girl justice with that particular sequence.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dennis

    Yup - it's pretty mesmerising.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Fred

    I bet the crew loved him!

    All that polishing is a never-ending job.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rob

    Se is coming down your way sometime soon, so you may well get your chance.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish my kitchen was that clean!

    ReplyDelete