Friday, September 03, 2010

Cutting and grinding

Cutting and grindingWith all the studs cut off the deck, I've now made a start on the cutting off of some of the footings which were on the deck.

The concrete footing you see in the foreground will also go sometime soon.

The silvery bits in an otherwise bleak picture shows where I've been cutting and grinding what were steel posts which stood slightly proud of the wooden deck.

I'd cut four of them off, and ground flush two and three quarters of them, while feeling all my energy draining away from me between grinds.

You know the feeling, when trying to finish something physically hard. The rest breaks between goes gets longer and longer...

Anyway, at one point I turned round and suddenly remembered, to my disappointment, that I had another two of these posts to cut and grind at the top end of the deck.

At that point I gave up, packed up and went home!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:39 PM

    Lots of grinding to do there.

    Do you have a diamond blade for your grinder? I have found that this is a good way to start breaking up the concrete. You can run a diamond over it and make some scores 20mm deep or so, then the subsequent breakup goes faster.

    Any news on the plans for what will go on the deck when you're done? I expect you will rust-bust, grind, rust-roy and bitumen. Something like that. Then what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those decks look rather decent, Tim. How are you planning on treating the steel?
    I bet not too many things will be better on you boat than knowing you have nicely protected steel under beautiful wood decks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops just read the post above again and saw I was a bit redundant. Great minds think alike?
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:31 PM

    Guess you would rather be bumping & grinding.Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marc

    Good to hear from you again.

    I'm really looking forwards to this particular project being complete...

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anonymous

    No time for that kind of thing...

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete