Friday, August 06, 2010

Chainsaw

ChainsawSo here's my new toy.

It turns out that it's extremely hard to rent a chainsaw in this country, so I bought one.

The guy at the hire shop tells me with a big grin "Probably on account of all the fingers and toes that get chopped off".

Oddly enough, the safety gear cost more than the chainsaw. The helmet & stuff I can certainly re-use on other projects, but the hefty leggings - probably not.

This puppy is the smallest in the Sthil range, but will apparently be more than man enough for the job.

The circular saw used to be my scariest powertool. Not anymore!

6 comments:

  1. Boys and their toys! Pete is green with envy right now, shame we don't live close enough, you could have a mutual power tool admiration society!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:06 PM

    I´m a landscaper by trade here in Germany, and I´ve seen lots of pics where a chainsaw accidently cut the safety pants. They really work a treat. Believe me, you don´t want that damn thing cut your leg off ;-). Really admire your work on Lady Jane.
    Best Regards
    Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred (WWR)2:24 PM

    Having a family that has several experienced woodsmen in it, I go with the comment by Andreas. A chain saw is one of those tools I believe should require a safety course and license to own because it is so dangerous. Be careful Tim, they have a tendency to bind and just when you are not expecting it, kick back on you. Wear your safety gear, it is designed to shred and jam the blade before it gets to your flesh. That guy at the store wasn't kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fran

    Yup - sounds like that would be an interesting session!

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andreas

    Thanks for that.

    Safety is always on my mind on board Lady Jane.

    Regards
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fred

    Yup, any powertool has that ability to do injury when you are least expecting it.

    The chainsaw is one worthy of plenty of respect.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete