Monday, July 26, 2010

River shipping

River shippingNow summer is in full swing, the river has got very busy.

In amongst it all are the big commercial ships.

Here you see 3 of these ships offloading alongside.

The ship closest to me was busy offloading a huge big pile of rocks.

I'd cringe at the thought of rocks being dropped into the bottom of my hull. I guess that hold is especially strengthened, or has some kind of liner in it to protect it.

Who would want a shipload of rocks I wonder?

3 comments:

  1. We have a refinery that has big rocks all the way around there perimeter.
    They are inside the fence.

    I would think that there might be a ship load of rock there.

    Bill K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:33 PM

    The rocks in question are being loaded onto a flat top barge and taken down to Lymington-keyhaven way for sea defences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing how much cargo is carried up and down river and out to larger vessels anchored off shore by way of barge.

    ReplyDelete