Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wave powered pump

Wave powered pumpSo this is just a bit of fun, no more.

I thought that seeing I was in berth 50, which can be a bit lumpy with the ferries and big boats going by, it would be useful to harness the wave power to pump seawater to the heads header tank.

Over the last few years this has become a regular, though somewhat tedious, task. Made even more necessary with more people dropping by.

To be fair, Fred has made this task his own, revelling in the exercise the manual pump gives his arms.

The incarnation of the wave powered pump you see is, so far, not doing it's job.

I had it fastened to the side of Lady Jane, expecting the force of the waves to push water up beyond the non return valve and up to the tank.

The pump also had a rubber boot on it, increasing the pipe diameter there to six inches.

I suspect the wave action is a little too gentle to get the water up the pipe very far.

I'm not short of things to try with this version, next on the list will be to use thinner, clear plastic, pipe, so I can see what's happening. And maybe floats on the device itself for more vigorous action.

If this whole concept fails, I've other ideas to fall back on to fill that header tank.

Oh yes I know I could buy something, but that's just dull.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:17 PM

    You need a manuel lever operated pump that you can fasten to a plank on the side of your ship and then extend the operating lever a few feet,on the lever fasten a weight and also a piece of styrofoam for floatation....when a ship goes by the waves will move the lever up & gravity will move the lever down.You will need a good weight to push the water all the way to your tank...oh yes...and a check valve in the line.Dr.Olds in Twillingate newfoundland tried all kinds of contraptions to harness wave power.Tony Roberts,St.Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony

    I had thought that if I was going to use a lever pump, I would use a spring for the upward stroke and a weight for the downward.

    The float idea is probably simpler than a spring.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Failure is usually needed in order to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I haven't been here in a while Tim, but it's comforting to see you are still a busy as ever. How's it going, and do I take it you've moved?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tana

    Failure?

    I call it learning :)

    T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ValleyP

    Yup, I'm in Southampton docks for a month or so now.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly my point too.

    ReplyDelete