Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Seal in the Itchen

Seal in the ItchenSo Saturday morning I had just started up the old sow and was sitting warming up the engine, in preparation for going to pick Fred up at the marina, when a seal popped up from the water right by me.

I don't know who was more surprised, me or the seal!

It watched me for a while then calmly disappeared under the water again.

Once I had got my head around the idea that a seal had appeared in the Itchen, effectively right in the middle of Southampton, I went and fetched my camera in the hope it would come back for another look.

Just as I got back in the old sow, Ken from Maggie Best next door showed up in his rib. We sat chatting for a while and the seal popped up again. This time a little further away, at least giving me a quick photo opportunity.

I know there are places where seal are common, maybe even considered pests, but for me, seeing one in the Itchen for the first time is something special.

This also serves to remind me we need to be getting out more in Lady Jane, to places where this kind of thing is commonplace.

2 comments:

  1. I once partially reared a Sealion (Buster) that was fun particularily weaning him off liquid food onto fish, I still have the scars to prove it. he had real character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:58 AM

    Good thing it didn't pop it's head up in Scotland...someone would have blown it off....Tony Roberts,St.Anthony Newfoundland.Really mild winter here Tim....but not as warm as the climate Wanderbird is wandering in.

    ReplyDelete