Friday, December 11, 2009

Workbench

WorkbenchMoving into the new workshop space has meant the workbench has to be pressed into service on deck as a work table.

I can't, for the life of me, find the original set of four scaffold pole legs, so have had to resort to the longer legs I sometimes use.

The idea of different leg lengths gives me flexibility when working on the outside of the hull. No doubt the right legs will turn up sometime soon....

The 'right' legs were originally cut so the workbench was at the same height as the other table and saw horse, making cutting large plywood boards easier.

The only downside of using the workbench like this is the danger of cutting into the steel edges with the circular saw. Something I've already inadvertently done with the new table.

I have absolutely no desire at all to find out what happens to a circular saw blade when, at full speed, it tries to cut into steel.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:50 PM

    Cutting steel with carbide tipped blades is possible. A blade intended for wood will wear pretty fast, but you'd be surprised how well the blade will cut. There are purpose-intended carbide blades for metal (mild steel) cutting and they are build like a wood blade but with more teeth.

    I've inadvertently cut channels in my concrete floor with a carbide framing blade and could detect no loss of sharpness of the blade after. I wouldn't want to do that every day, but I think the odd touch to the wrong material is part of the expected treatment for these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous

    That circular saw scares me.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete