Thursday, December 10, 2009

Maquette

I received this email last week:

"Hi Tim,

I found your blog surfing the net and was surprised to find the boat that has been standing on my mantelshelf for the last 45 years or so. I think you will like the pictures below. The maquette is about 90 cm long, 62 cm high and 20 cm wide.

Regards,

Luc"

Luc is from Belgium, where Lady Jane was built.

I've never heard of a maquette before, but the word is just perfect.

Maquette

From the pictures Luc has sent me, I see all kinds of detail about Lady Jane on the model that would otherwise have been lost forever. For example the hand rails and the way the winches were setup. Those colours are also Lady Jane's original colours.

Lady Jane was called Judith, and her number was Z431. Judith was built in 1963, so Luc must have got that model when Lady Jane was nearly new, if not brand new. Sadly his parents cannot remember where they got the model as a present for Luc all that time ago.

Some things are just so unreal, you couldn't make them up if you tried.

6 comments:

  1. What a great story! Where does Luc come from? Isn't it amazing the way the internet works sometimes. I am of an age where I am still a little in awe of its capabilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fran

    Oops - I'll fix my post. Luc is from Belgium, where Lady Jane was built.

    Cheers.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:47 AM

    Amazing.

    I'm fascinated by the rigging / antenna's running between the two masts.

    Its tricky to see what is rigging and what is shadow due to the lighting.

    Where there any other pictures of this Tim?

    I would guess a couple of the wires are a Medium Frequency antenna and another couple may be a High Frequency antenna.

    Andrew Gawthrope

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that's incredible! I'm with Fran; the whole power of the Internet has made amazing things possible & made the world that much smaller. Very cool, Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrew

    I have plenty more...

    I'll put them up on Flickr sometime...

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jamie

    It is truly amazing how it affects us all.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete