Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Making the door

Making the door 1The whole workshop project is coming along nicely.

You can see in the picture the gluing up of the first half of the door.

I put extra supports in the middle of the door to help prevent it from warping.

Making the door 2After putting glue all over the first half, I then immediately glued the second side on.

It's obvious I don't have enough clamps, so had to resort to using whatever heavy weights I had to hand.

In retrospect, the extra supports in the middle were probably unnecessary, as the door is now pretty heavy.

To late to change anything - short of startting again that is.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:50 PM

    Supports in the middle are grand. I made a door last summer in exactly this way -- except that I also biscuit joined the frame, built from 6x2 timbers, to make it extra tough. It has held up in full-on winter weather and so far this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before you "hang it" check out that the door isn`t twisted. if it is then use it to your advantage (ie to match the wall) as the wall may have a small twist in it too. If you hang it so that any twist is accentuated it can be a PITA. Hope I`m not teaching you to "suck eggs" best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous

    6*2 would definitely make a tough door.

    It will be interesting to see what the weather makes of my construction.

    I've a feeling it won't be too long before I find out.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rob

    Good point there.

    Thanks

    Tim

    ReplyDelete