Monday, June 15, 2009

Damage repair

Damage repairThe picture shows some new steel plating, which repairs the damage done by the Humber Star to Lady Jane's stern last year.

The insurance company had finally agreed to the quote submitted to them.

The silence from me over the previous week is on account of the fact that I had to take time off to be on board Lady Jane while the contractors effected this repair.

This should never have happened in the first place, consequently I view all the time I've spent on this issue has a complete waste.

Still, the contractors have done a good job so far.

There is still painting, shelving and putting everything back to do. That will have to be done over the next few weekends.

4 comments:

  1. Tim,
    I thought awhile back that you had been able to get online from Lady Jane ?

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill

    That's right, but I just did not get the time to blog.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:23 PM

    I am pleased -- as I bet you are -- to finally have an end in sight to that Humber Star business.

    I am curious to know what you think of the work that the paid contractors do. Is it as good or better that what you would have done? Pick up any new ideas for your own repairs of this type? Tools you wish you had?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Anonymous

    The job is not over yet, but I have been pleased with the work the contractors have done.

    They make it all look so easy, but then I always say that that's the mark of a true professional.

    There is no doubt in my mind that they have done a far better job than I could have done - the quality of the welding for a start...

    As a measure of that, when I have the money available, I'll certainly have them back to help on some other parts of Lady Jane that need cutting and welding.

    I have learnt a lot over the last week, some of which will help with other, smaller, welding projects elsewhere on Lady Jane.

    In terms of tools, the tools they used were surprisingly simple, but it was the application that was so impressive - for example using wedges against temporarily welded lugs to hold the new plate firmly in place for cutting and subsequent welding.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete