Thursday, January 08, 2009

Which way up?

Which way up?Here Andy tests the fit of a rather large piece of plywood.

Size down there is deceptive. The ply board to cover the section by Andy's knee is just short of eight feet long, at least at the front that is.

Fitting the ply required a new toy tool, a planer, to shape the edges of the ply to the slope of the sides there.

I've only used a planer once or twice when I was far, far younger and remember how much work it took to scrape off even a thin sliver of wood. With that in mind, no way was I going to buy a manual planer.

It took us some experimenting and no time at all to chamfer the edges of the ply using my spanking new electric planer. That puppy sure does a good job.

It's the way with these things, I know, but now I have an electric planer I'm bound to find all manner of uses for it.

6 comments:

  1. Ah the joys of cutting wierd shapes out of plywood! In the bedroom we've been doing there was only one piece of 8x4 ply that didn't have to be cut down, and not a single corner or edge that was actually straight! That planer sounds good, i'm sure we'll end up getting one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:00 PM

    Is that plywood going on the floor?
    It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks a little thin for flooring. I would want 19mm plywood for that floor. What I see in that picture looks to be 10mm at best. It will not support walking on at all.

    Have I got your intent totally wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watch your fingers with the planer as, having used a manual plane the temptation, when squaring edges, is to put your fingers under the planer on the planing cutters so as to support the planer squjare to the edge, likd one does on a manual planer and they bite!!! so do be careful. I do speak from experience by the way :o((

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve

    Weird shapes - we we know how tricky it can get.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anonymous

    That ply is destined for the shelf thingie you see at Andy's knee.

    It's 18mm ply, the size there is deceptive, so given the underlying support it will be plenty strong enough.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rob

    As it happend, I tried planing a piece of wood across the grain & ripped out a big chunk out of the wood (it's all learning).

    That had me thinking right there about how bad it would be to get body parts in the way.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete