Monday, December 01, 2008

Car radio

Radio installationSo here's another of my 'I should have done this month's ago' moments.

I unexpectedly received a few hundred quid the other day, so immediately thought 'It's time to get that radio I've been thinking of all these months'.

The last radio I bought was not a huge success, mostly due to the hassle of powering the thing. For some reason it really chewed through batteries, and recharging them just did not work out. The damn things were always discharged when I wanted the radio on, and I had to recharge them in two separate lots, as the radio took six batteries and the charger four! Using it on mains did not work out either, mainly on account of the frequent power interruptions switching between the generator and the inverter.

The idea of getting a car radio was largely inspired by seeing the success that Rick's satellite radio was on the Wanderbird.

I was after a car radio a with remote control and the ability to play music from a USB port. Happily this new radio does both, though quite why anyone would need a remote control for a car radio escapes me.

All in, including the aerial and speakers, the whole lot came to just five pence short of the few hundred quid I received.

After connecting it all up and hearing the quality of the sound, there is no doubt in my mind that it was well worth it.

Just got to finish the installation off, including a neat housing for the radio and tidying those unruly wires away before Andy sees them.

11 comments:

  1. Tim,
    My best guess for needing a car remote is so the kids in the back seat can change the stations without bothering there parent's.

    Bill Kelleher
    Toledo, Ohio usa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill

    I wouldn't know as I've no kids, but that seems like it could be really annoying very quickly.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a very nice car stereo in Hendrik when we first moved aboard. Unfortunately it only lasted about a week before expiring in a puff of electron-scented smoke.

    Well, they will do that when your Dutch electrican has wired them to the 24v system not the 12v one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Tim!
    Perhaps some outdoor speakers for the deck or other parts of the boat with a switchboard could be something to keep in mind.
    Marc
    Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi James

    That expensive electron smell - I know it well.

    I recall being told that electric things run on blue smoke. Once that blue smoke leaves, they stop working.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marc

    Some waterproof speakers for on deck is definitely on the cards.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rock on TZ!............

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rick & Karen

    You guys were very much on my mind when I was fitting this.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fred (WWR)11:52 AM

    Wow Tim! I just finished the slide show of the Lady Jane. As the song goes, "You've come a long way baby". Keep On Keeping On :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:49 PM

    I see the wires!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anonymous

    Oops, it's still not done.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete