Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Torrent

TorrentThe other week I posted about the Sand Serin listing, now it's Torrent's turn.

Torrent is a regular visitor to the wharf immediately opposite Lady Jane, she brings cargos of sand. Not dredged, but sand from elsewhere, which the cranes in the background offload one bucket load at a time.

Anyway, look at torrent's bow - it's completely out of the water there. I've never seen that before, so I suppose an uncomfortable night for that crew as well.

On the subject of boats with their bows out of the water...

I had read, on the Internet though can't find the article again, of a ship that had lost it's propeller mid Atlantic sometime in the early 1900's.

The crew made a new propeller in the on-board workshop and by flooding the bow so the stern was out of the water, managed to fit the replacement one and so continue the voyage to England.

If I remember correctly, the makeshift propeller is still displayed in some museum in the north of England.

1 comment:

  1. I think I have seen it it was all straps plate and rivets? :o))

    ReplyDelete