Monday, September 08, 2008

Warning.... Smartwater

Warning.... SmartwaterAs time marches on, so I've been buying more and more tools and equipment to get the job done. Some of it pretty expensive.

As a result, when I'm away from Lady Jane I've been getting increasingly worried about being broken into, and having my tools and stuff stolen.

Which is why I finally got around to buying a Smartwater kit.

It looks like an excellent option for me:
  • It acts as a powerful deterrent. As evidenced by the warning signs you can see, which are now on all Lady Jane's doors.
  • I am more likely to get anything stolen back, because of the security coding which is unique to me.
  • It's likely to result in the conviction of any thief, or handler, caught with my stuff.
  • It should mean some kind of reduction on my insurance.
I had blogged about Smartwater back in February 2005 but, if I remember correctly, it was quite expensive then. Now it's only fourty odd quid per year, so well worth it in my opinion.

It's been interesting work gathering all my bits & pieces for dabbing.

Most stuff is now done, and certainly all the good stuff is well marked.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:40 PM

    I don't get it. I looked at the smartwater site as well. It looks like you are dying your kit with something that will stick to the hands of a would-be thief.

    But doesn't it stick to the owner's hands too? And wind up all over everything within a 2K radius? You, your car, your workplace, your local pub, your boat, your friends. Soon EVERYTHING is covered with smartwater. Then what?

    I must be missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous

    What you get in the kit is a small bottle of solution (you can just see it in the foreground there).

    You dab a bit of the solution onto your stuff and let it dry.

    It's that dab of dried on solution that stands up in UV light, and has the unique coding on it.

    It's not supposed to stick to a thief's hands, but the fact the item in the thief's possession can be traced back to me is what counts.

    No mess, no waste & all my tools tagged now.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:39 PM

    I guess I am confusing one of the deployment methods where the smartwater sprays out from something when it's tampered with.

    Obviously that is not how you are using it then.

    UV marking pens are easy to obtain. Wouldn't it be simpler to just write your name on things with one of those? The same police screening prodecure will find it, and it doesn't require any sneaky forensic anything to match the ink to you -- they just read your name right there on the side of your Hilti.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous

    Yup - the squirting smartwater could be a bit messy for me..

    The pen is good - shows up really well and all that, but the smartwater only needs a dab for id so for smaller tools it's perfect.

    At some point, I'll have to try removing the pen markings vs removing the smartwater on something by way of a trial I suppose.

    Also, the smartwater people have my address etc. so if I move, my stuff will still find me.

    The smartwater signs are also a big deterrent (so they say), helping prevent any theft from occurring in the first place.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's cool stuff. I'd never even heard of it, but I do particularly like the deterrent factor. Don't be the Easy Target, I always say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jamie

    I so much agree with the easy target thing.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete