Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Paint delivery

Paint deliveryAnther delivery of primer.

Here you see an array of tins of two pack epoxy primer from the nice people at Hempel.

For those of you who are using single pack paints like Hammerite, two pack epoxys are worth looking into. Both for the quality of the finished job and for the price you end up paying.

I personally prefer Hempel, but Jotun and International also do good stuff. I know Seb swears by International paints.

I'm using the smaller 5 litre tins, as it's a little easier for me to work with than the big 20 litre tins.

You can see I've sprayed each of the tins with blue paint, to denote primer. A quick, easy way of avoiding mixing some other type of hardener, or thinner, with the primer.

You can also see letters stencilled on the big tins, to easily identify which colour is which.

The idea is to use a first coat of red, then grey and finally a coat of white primer. This way I know exactly what has been painted and how many coats it's had.

4 comments:

  1. Last year I slapped on some Tremclad Rustoleum on the outer decks as then I didn't know the paint that had been there was a two-part epoxy paint. That Tremclad paint for metal just doesn't stand up at all. I discovered what the real colour was when we did the haul out at Arrow on the float house. It was a goal of mine this summer tore-doing and FINISHING the outer decks on the float house. Sigh, I've not done it yet either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim! how does Hempel compare with Sigma (dur etc?)cost and durability wise? any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tana

    There's always something to paint.

    We need the weather here though.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rob

    No idea I'm afraid. Hempel does a good job for me, so I'm sticking with it for now.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete