Thursday, June 26, 2008

Rib Problems

Rib problemsNot everything is going according to plan.

If you look closely at the picture, you will see my emergency steering setup on the rib (hbi). I can tell you that it's no easy thing steering the rib with a bodged up tiller.

What happened was when I came to take the rib out on the weekend that we took Lady Jane out for a cruise, the steering stuck so I could only go round in circles.

I then had to suffer the embarrassment of paddling the rib out to Lady Jane, where I could work on it.

The steering rod, part of the steering cable, had got jammed solid where it runs through the engine mounting.

After literally hours of hammering, jimmying, cussing and liberal application of WD40, all I managed to do was hurt my hand with a rubber mallet and make things worse.

The rib has to come out of the water for this job, as there is no room to get the steering cable out without taking the engine off.

Although the timing was really bad, the rib has been needing to come out of the water for a while now. This steering 'issue' just makes it a priority.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:15 PM

    Aren't you suppose to lubercate that one in a while ? LOL

    I know I know ( smart ass )

    I have been called worse. :))

    Bill Kelleher
    Toledo, Ohio usa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill

    Smart ass :)

    Yup - the top end was well lubed.

    It just did not occur to me that I should open up the other end and grease that as well.

    Now I'm going to pay for that little lapse!

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is usually the way of it isn't it? Besides, WD40 is a better cleaner than lubricant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:30 PM

    I agree 100%....wd40 is 98% cleaner...1%???? 1% grease....Maybe a SPARE RIB is in order Tim....Tony Roberts,St.Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  5. WD40 is well known for its cleaning activities in fact there is a whole site listing all its other uses (if I remember rightly)including removing stubborn labels off glass bottles. when I use WD for anything I always lubricate with oil after as the WD 40 appears to evaporate leaving no protection and all and rusting/oxidisation will occur. I paid with a siezed outboard the first and only time I didn`t lubricate after use, (I use 3in one or a similar light oil now, depending the use requirements) . Best of luck getting it sorted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, I agree about the WD40.

    The plan was to use the WD40 to get the thing freed up, then lubricate it once it was all sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't forget -

    If it's supposed to move and doesn't, WD40 it.

    If it's not supposed to move and does, duck tape it.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete