Friday, May 16, 2008

240 Volts AC

Mains electricsThe first system to get to grips with on Lady Jane is the 240V AC mains.

I have learned that the first thing I need for electric stuff is a big space to put everything. For some reason electric bits and pieces always seem to take more room than is available.

Here you see Andy fussing over the last of the wiring into the main consumer unit. That is the result of two days solid work there.

At the core of my new system is an automatic switch from Sterling Power. The switch enables me to automatically route power from any one of the donkey, deck generators (or shore power), or inverter, to the mains consumer unit.

The cool thing about the switch is that it can automatically shut off power to my battery charger if the power is coming from the inverter, for obvious reasons.

The mains consumer unit then acts as the distribution point for mains power through the rest of the boat.

Overall, the new arrangement means that the 240V power source is only indirectly connected to the various devices that use them, which means that my reliance on extension leads to get power to various parts of the boat should now start to disappear.

At last - no more forgetting to change the fridge back over to the inverter after shutting off the generator!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Tim

    Panel looks good. Will come doen soon and help you out a bit more. promise!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim

    I would love to pay a visit sometime soon to see your electrics , it's all facinating stuff.
    the good news from my point of view is that I have got rid of the very silly M3 and have now got a very practical Audi estate diesel ,to which I shall fit a towbar in the next couple of weeks so I can haul my Rib down to Southampton .

    Regards ; Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Brits crack me up hauling boats and trailers around with cars like Audi's........my whole boating experience would be in a bad way without the use of my handy pick up truck......you'll certainly have the last laugh though with the price of gas and all. Sometimes I wish I had an Audi or the like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill Kelleher10:50 AM

    Tim

    I think you better write up a operater's manual to help you remember where what switch belongs.

    I sure would need one. LOL

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rob

    Thanks for you help.

    You are, of course, welcome anytime.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrew

    Playtime in your rib - fun!

    Just email me with dates convenient to you. There is a public slip just down the river from me.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rick

    I agree with the truck thing.

    I don't know where I'd be without my truck to haul all the stuff I need to back and forth.

    Mine is not as mighty as some of my mates in the US have though.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bill

    Actually I was thinking that very thing myself this weekend.

    Though this system is supposed to simplify things!

    So far, I have labels on the various switches, boxes and plugs.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will do Tim, I have ordered a towbar and then all I have to do is fit it.Then we can sort out some dates.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete