Friday, April 25, 2008

Queen Mary 2

Queen Mary 2Now for the blog entry I was originally going to make on Tuesday....

Here the Queen Mary sets off for New York, after parading up and down past both the Queen Victoria and the Queen Elizabeth 2 in Southampton Water on Monday evening.

Look here for a picture which gives you a better idea of her sheer size. This was very kindly stitched together for me by Anonymous, a regular commenter here. A replacement of my earlier effort.

This meeting of the three queens is the last time they will all be together, so I just had to go down with Patch for a look see.

On the water all about the queens it was madness, with small boats scattered everywhere. Jostling to get the best views as the Queen Mary 2 went gliding by.

I note that some of the more enthusiastic boaters needed a bit of a reminder to stay clear.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:24 PM

    The stitched-together photo of the QM2 is impressive. Can I suggest you try this:

    http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

    It will do a superior job of stitching than what you have. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She isn't very pretty is she , not like the true liners.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous

    I tried it, but it made some disparaging remarks about my camera, then proceeded to ask me all sorts of tough questions.

    My best efforts reduced poor old Queen Mary to an odd shaped ball!

    If you want, email me & I'll send you the originals for you to have a go.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrew

    I would agree there. I think the QE2 has real class.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Andrew, I dunno about pretty, but she's got a nice fat bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:07 PM

    Clarify....the ship or the Queen got a nice fat bottom ???? or both ??? Nice picture Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Seb,

    Imagine how thick that steel is & how much it took to roll that into shape.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anonymous

    Enough of the bottom talk, else I'll have stern words to say:)

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thing that big girl wasn't the one to nip the LJ ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup Rick, that would be some scandal.

    Poor old Lady Jane would look like she'd been run over, rather than just gnawed by a dog.

    Take care

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey TZ. We will be leaving St. John's Newfoundland on or about 15 July. We have a crew only vessel for the next 14 days cruising up the coast of Labrador to arrive Nain, Labrador 22 July or there abouts. Hope you can join us again as there is always a berth for you. Bet it'll be more fun then the Quenn Mary... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:57 AM

    Hi Tim....Two of my photos and my e-mail is featured in this guy's web site blog if you care to take a look.http://www.dhc-2.com/....he's doing the history of the famous Beaver aircraft of Canada...
    2 more Polar Bears was trapped and released just north of here recently.Tony in St.Anthony.

    ReplyDelete