Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pollution

PollutionSunday morning, some thoughtless organisation saw fit to pollute the Itchen River, and presumably elsewhere in Southapton.

The Itchen River was dotted with red balloons, like these you see in the picture, part of the fallout from what must have been a mass balloon launch in Southampton.

Surely there should be a ban on this kind of thoughtless litter?

I rescued the few balloons I could reach, and saw people on other boats doing the same.

What were retrieved is nothing, compared to the ones that still litter the river banks.

This kind of 'throw away' activity simply adds to the existing plastic waste problem we all face.

I hope 08 mass balloon releases are stopped, and the pollution ended.

Those 'pretty' balloons have to come down somewhere, where they are just a nuisance and potentially a danger to wildlife.

Don't people get it?

11 comments:

  1. With you on that one Tim, these days I refuse plastic bags unless I really need one.
    What I do not understand is why we will continue to have plastic bags at all.Why cant we switch over to paper bags now !!! ,thats what we used to use not so many years ago

    Best Regards ; Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh you should see the Thames the day of the marathon. Or the boatrace. Or any major event up river. It's really disgusting how people just toss stuff anywhere and don't think about the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew

    It's surprisingly difficult to avoid plastics these days.

    Since the whole plastic ocean thing, I've been so much more 'plastic aware'.

    For example, the dry cleaners gave me a funny look when I asked them not to wrap my suit. Give them credit though, they did as I asked.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa

    I can only imagine how much worse the Thames must be after an event.

    As you say, ugh.

    Makes me wonder if more could be done by the organisers/sponsors?

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:01 AM

    DRY CLEANERS...is that not the process that uses the most chemicals for ??? vanity ????? or is the new dry cleaning process void of toxic chemicals...just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anonymous

    Dry cleaners - yup, chemicals for vanity (had not thought of it like that before).

    My 'proper' job requires me to wear a suit, which inevitably needs dry cleaning.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tim

    Thats an interesting one.Suits have been around a lot longer than dry cleaning, so how were suits cleaned before the dry cleaning revolution ?

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Tim. Right on about the plastics and pollution in general. If we all try to do just a little better it would make a huge difference. Asides from that, Karen and I are really grinning trying to picture you in a suit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there Rick & Karen

    I'm far happier in overalls :)

    Cheers

    T

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, that's how you'll always be thought of by us! Hey if your interested in a 800 mile delivery,(crew only) up the coast of Labrador,(minimal mechanical excitement, I promise) in July 08 then let us know. We'd love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rick & Karen

    I'd be happy to join you for a delivery cruise.

    Sounds like fun.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete