Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Plastic oceans

Until the recent stories circulating on the Internet regarding the phenomenon that is the trash gyres of the world, I had not really felt that compelled to change my lifestyle when it comes to plastics.

I mean I already recycle and all that.

Plastic ocean

This picture is of the things that have come from ONE albatross. Try living with all that stuff inside you!

In case you are thinking 'this is not happening', have a look here,if you have the stomach for it (scroll down a bit).

The more I read on this, and the more I learn, so I feel increasingly ill.

We throw this stuff away without a thought of where it all ends up. After all, we have no control over where our rubbish gets dumped.

I for one have no idea how much rubbish gets out to sea from the UK alone.

There has been a lot of posting on this subject on the Internet in the last few weeks, including a healthy amount of vitriol and skepticism, the best post I have read is at The Oysters Garter" which puts things into perspective pretty well.

It seems hard to conceive of how it could be possible to cleanup the mess we have all contributed to, in some way or other, over the last fifty or so years.

What seems harder to grasp is just how to prevent this problem from getting worse.

There are simple things we can all do to help:
  • Avoid non recyclable products if you can
  • Stop using throwaway plastic, such as shopping bags
  • Don't litter - especially into the sea
  • Recycle or re-use whatever you can
  • Get involved in beach clean-ups
  • Take an interest in where your own garbage ends up.
  • Pass this message on

5 comments:

  1. GREAT post Tim. Thank you! Your friends, Rick and Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good man Tim Thanks for that we all need a reminder now and again!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rob

    Any personal effort seems so pathetic against the enormity of the problem.

    Still, every bit helps.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with this. I think we should stop using plastic water bottles and start using reusable water bottles.

    ReplyDelete