The new gaskets are just visible in the background.
I did exactly as I intended, put the turbo side covers on first, ran the engine to blow any remaining stuff from inside the intercooler, then put the inlet cover back on and ran the engine a second time.
Hmm, the mess I made by running that engine with the intercooler cover off was pretty spectacular.
There is no doubt about that turbo's ability to blow air through, along with the residue of the cleaning solvent etc.
With all the intercooler covers back on, the engine runs just fine. Probably the best it's run since I've had Lady Jane, although John will need to take if for a spin for the final verdict.
The turbo pressure gauge only shows a slight pressure, but I'm pretty sure it's the pipe for the gauge that's all gummed, up as per the turbo.
To check there was pressure, I took off one of the pressure gauge connectors and, sure enough, air blows through the fitting. But I knew that anyway from the first run with only the turbo side covers on.
The only snag is that I did not make a new gasket for the piece where the actual turbo joins the first intercooler cover, so I have a small air leak there.
Next, asides for making another gasket up and fitting it, I need to cleanup the mess I made while cleaning the intercooler, rust bust and cleanup the rest of the intercooler, then prime and paint the thing and all the associated pipe and duct work. Light blue I think - to denote compressed air.
Oh yes, and I'll also have to clean out the suspected blockage in the turbo pressure gauge pipe.
With the intercooler all painted up and looking smart, this project can then finally be closed off.