Thursday, March 27, 2008

Flooded rib

Flooded ribSadly, not everything goes according to plan.

This is the sight that greeted me at the end of a couple of days hard work over the weekend.

At the time the temperature was hovering around 4 C, wind gusting to a force 8 and it was getting dark.

The last thing I need when I'm all packed up and ready to go home for a nice, long, hot, relaxing bath - with a cool beer to hand. Grrr.

Completely my fault, as the rib should have been left facing the prevailing wind and the outgoing tide.

The options I have for getting ashore when greeted with a flooded rib are:
  1. Get cold and wet opening the rib's (hbi) elephant trunks, the drain tubes at the back of the rib, then take the rib for a spin to drain it out while getting even colder.

  2. Use the flat sided bucket I was so proud of. Just not practical given the volume of water, though I suppose I would soon warm up.

  3. Unlock everything, get out the generator and mains electric pump I was so happy not to have to be using, and let technology take the strain while I stay dry.

  4. Let the little on-board bilge pump to do it's thing. Not even remotely a serious option here.
It's not hard to guess which option I chose - Handy thing that mains electric pump.

There seems to be a twisted sort of poetic justice going on here.

Ahh well, if I couldn't take a joke I wouldn't have bought a boat, or two.

7 comments:

  1. Lidl`s have a cheap high rate pump currently for sale. I thought I might get me one? you never know whan you might need it , as you so rightly say

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob

    I have a lot of pumps of all sorts of shapes and sizes.

    You can never have too many it seems.

    I was even contemplating getting one of those petrol driven ones, just in case in case...

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:13 PM

    A largish petrol powered salvage pump with permanently installed plumbing might well have saved the Abundance. According to the writeup the lifeboatmen were unable to enter the compartments to sort out blockages to the salvage pump because there was too much junk shifting around.

    A couple of ideas there -- aside from the obvious "have a look at the weather report", "have a working radio" and "know where the heck you are" ones:

    (1) make sure stuff you install is *really* secure.

    (2) make it easy to run a salvage pump, just in case. And I would be inclined to *have* a salvage pump, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always at the end of a long, cold day when these thing happen isn't it?

    I was meaning to ask, i remember when i started reading the blog and worked my way through a year or two's worth of posts (!) that you mentioned going to some great big warehouse type place full of boaty things, like a chandlery/salvage yard but massive. I can't remember where it was or what it was called and wondered if you could remember, so i don't have to work my way back through all the old posts again? would be much appreciated as we would love to make a visit there and have a poke around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve

    The yard is/was Harry Pound's yard, in Portsmouth. http://timzim.blogspot.com/2005/09/harry-pounds.html

    I suspect it is now closed, or almost closed.

    The yard is here: http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.82745&lon=-1.091944&z=19.2&r=0&src=ggl

    If you want directions, email me with your phone number.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple solution Tim

    A large pair of waders!!!

    Regards ; Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's brilliant, thanks! I hope it's not closed down yet as it sounds like an amazing place, and potentially somewhere where you can pick up amazing things at cheapish prices. Now where could i moor a submarine...

    ReplyDelete