Thursday, March 06, 2008

A bucket

Yes - I'm going to write a blog entry about a bucket!

A bucketOne of my pet hates about the rib is having to bail it out after it's rained.

My bilge pump is notoriously unreliable.

Fuses blown for no apparent reason or stuff blocking the impeller just after a heavy rainstorm are my pump's favourite tricks.

I know I could use a cover, or I can get a better, float switch, pump, and use a split charge diode and a second battery, but I'm trying to keep things simple.

The less there is, the less can go wrong.

I was at a customers recently, where I saw that vandals had strewn fire buckets about the car park - The buckets all had a flat side, which set me thinking....

A flat sided bucket. Hmm, that would work great for bailing. Especially when the water level goes down a bit.

As it turned out, it rained the day after my fire bucket was delivered.

That has to be the one and only time I was actually looking forward to bailing out the rib (in the dark).

And yes, the bucket works just great.

12 comments:

  1. Hee Hee. Excited about a bucket! But... What an obvious idea. Of course if you bought one from a Chandlers it would be a least 5 times the price because it was 'designed' for boats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:49 PM

    In Labrador we used a plastic bleach bottle or some other plastic container....just cut the bottom off and it was a perfect scoop with a handle.The square detergent bottles we get today are even better than the ones we used because they are more square and features a better handle.Antifreeze and windshield washer fluid bottles are also great.Keep bailing.Tony Roberts,St.Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Loz 'n' Moz

    I wouldn't go so far as to say excited...

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tony

    Hopefully I'll not have to bail, but if I do, it's not such a problem.

    Cheers & keep well.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great Idea Tim? I am surprised that somebody hasnt thought of it before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rob

    Hmm - maybe I patent the idea fast...

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it is the simple things that give us the most joy. Enjoy the bucket.

    Like Mr. Roberts, slicing off the bottom of a plastic jug works like a hot darn too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Bowiechick

    I may have used the cut off plastic jug, if I had thought of it.

    I console myself with the thought that the bucket has a bigger capacity :)

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:07 PM

    I thought you trailered your RIB all the time. If so, can't you just pull the drain-plugs? Remembering, of course, to put them back before launching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anonymous

    No, the rib stays in the water all the time.

    It would take too long to put it into and take it out of the water each time I went down to Lady Jane.

    The rib itself has no drain plugs, but a pair of 'elephant trunks' which keep the rib well drained while under way in rough water.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whilst on the topic of buckets, (no, not Hyacinth!) I am reminded that a good five gallon bucket can be used in the head,(toilet), of the vessel as well. Many years ago, as a crewmember on a commercial fishing vessel,I remember that our brand new marine toilet went kaput and we put the 5 gallon bucket into service. One and all agreed that it was better and easier and a lot less maintenance and cleaning than the fancy new electrical flushing unit. We finished the next 5 months of the season with our bucket!We have 7 composting heads,(toilets), on board the Wanderbird now and I often find myself thinking back to the old fatihful 5 gallon bucket........hmmm maybe this should become a new trend in eco tourism.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there Rick & Karen

    A real timely post - see today's entry.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete