Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Tricky progress

ProgressSo the sorry pile of discarded sawn pieces indicates progress with the tricky bit, of sorts.

Despite my best efforts, and having a worked example sitting by the mitre saw to copy, I still managed a pretty impressive pile of wood cut wrong for one reason or another.

Having all those angles on each piece being cut does my head in!

I have at least learned that when I start the next side, the port side, I will start from the bottom and work up. That way, if a piece gets cut too short I have a chance of using it a little higher up.

As to how to avoid cutting the pieces wrong in the first place, I have no idea. Other than to concentrate more on the job in hand.

That old, probably now politically incorrect, joke about having to retrain the work force if they have had too long a break comes to mind here.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:30 PM

    I think you're doing fine. Most of these off-cuts look as though they could be used elsewhere. You are probably being too much the perfectionist for your own good.

    I am curious why you are screwing through the face of each board. The usual approach to tongue+groove is to nail through the tong on the diagonal, such that the groove in the next board fits over and conceals the attachment. Usualy only the top-most board should be face-nailed.

    You are likely looking for extra strength to hold up to objects potentially shifting around and such compared to what I might do in my sitting room.

    I would still expect that construction adhesive and adhesive coated nails would do the trick.

    Anyway, you have a most marvelous set of projects on the go, and I love watching how you make out with them all. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous

    Thanks for the comment.

    I'm using screws like that for a few reasons:

    1) I had not thought of nailing/gluing like that (would look better probably).

    2) The curve of the wood on the hull needed some quite strong fitting, nails and anything other than very quick setting glue may have been troublesome.

    3) Some of the boards may need to be taken off again (hopefully never) - I have built in a few as removable already.

    4) Any further builds here would be based on these boards being screwed in, and therefore knowing where the battens are, which has been on my mind from the beginning.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete