Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Learning

LearningHere is a picture of the intercooler cleaning apparatus from the other side.

It would have been so good to show a picture of brilliantly clean copperware inside the intercooler, sadly this is not the case just yet.

Overall, it's fair to say that the whole mechanism worked exactly as planned, that 20 odd litres of solvent went very dirty pretty quickly, except for massive leaking from the seals round the edges.

What impressed me the most, and encourages me to persevere, was the rate of flow of the solvent through the system.

As it turned out, the pump could easily match the pace of the solvent flowing out the bottom of the system - I used 15mm piping (1 1/4 inch I think), except for the pipe from the pump which was thicker.

The pump I used was an old bilge pump, rated at 500 gallons per hour (with no head I presume), with a float switch.

I'll put this first version down to a learning experience, and I learnt a lot in those very few minutes that the system was running:

1) The bolt holes have to be positioned exactly right, else cracking in the perspex will occur.

2) Patience - let the silicone seals dry properly before doing anything, or use proper gaskets.

3) Perspex bends under the slightest pressure, so use ALL the bolt holes (see 1 above then look at yesterdays picture again).

4) With the system properly sealed I need a separate vent pipe to facilitate filling/draining the system.

5) Test the system with water before using expensive solvent.

So all I've achieved so far was to make an even bigger mess in the engine room than before. At least it's relatively easy to clean up.

Of course I think the intercooler pipes look somewhat cleaner.

Version two will work out far better. Promise.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:01 PM

    Oh dear, I _am_ red-faced. I remember thinking -- you must have fit the bolts down the left side after the picture.

    In my mind's eye I had pictured wide washers under every bolt and a pair of welding rods slipped under the washers to spread the pressure along the edge.

    Is it 3mm perspex you've got? Thicker perspex would bow less -- but what you have is what ou have I guess.

    Another option to plain water for an initial test might be water with trisodium-phosphate. That is cheap and will also cut the greasy buildup. Not as well as solvent, but it will do some good versus plain water that won't.

    You can also make up water/TSP mix that is good and hot.

    I hope you didn't lose all your solvent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:18 PM

    Hey TZ. Fine Job! We did the same job a few years ago! Hey guess what..we drove up to St. Anthony, Newfoundland to visit our old friend Tony Roberts and his family! We all just wanted to say hi and that we all hope to see you again soon! Your shipmates, Rick, Karen, Tony and the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there anonymous

    It would have been too late anyway!

    I usually work on Lady Jane only on the weekends, then write up on progress during the following week.

    As it happened, I saved the majority of the solvent, so no real problems there.

    When I started this blog I was resolved to tell the good and the bad, as best as possible - even if I appeared a bit dumb from time to time e.g. expecting that left hand side to hold.

    Hopefully folks who read this get to learn something from the things I've done and, probably more importantly, mistakes I've made.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Rick, Karen, and Tony

    It's good to hear from you guys.

    When are you coming over this side of the pond?

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:46 AM

    I'm still checking on your progress almost every day...boats and their workings always interest me...at one time I had to do the timing on our motor,a special tool was required...I made one from a section of a mop handle with a 2 inch nail through it...it did the job.I was really good to see Rick & Karen...to say it was a surprise visit is an understatement.Tony Roberts,St.Anthony

    ReplyDelete