Friday, February 15, 2008

Intercooler cleaning

Intercooler pipingSo thanks to everybody for the feedback on my last posting on the intercooler.

So here is a picture of the pipes after an initial couple of blasts with the spray cleaner. Actually about an hours work.

A truly filthy, stinky, job so far, with the inevitable mess splashed about on Fred's pristine paintwork.

I hasten to add that the damage to the fins was there when I opened the casing, and was not done by me. Obviously someone else has been in there before me.

With a bit of cleaning, I was somewhat surprised to see the pipes and fins appear to be made of copper.

I had originally intended to continue to use the spray cleaner to get an ok job done, until reading last night's anonymous post. The suggestion was I make up perspex covers and flush cleaner fluid through the intercooler using a pump.

That flushing fluid idea is so simple and elegant, but should prove to be extremely effective, that I think I'll give it a go. I have pretty much everything I need to hand - just need to buy a few tank fittings for the perspex covers and I'll be away.

I know it will take longer, but the job will be so much less messy and will most likely be worth the extra effort in the long run.

Thanks again to whoever it was that made the suggestion.

3 comments:

  1. They are usually copper for heat transferance properties ( to cool the air passing through thus maximising expansion on detonation) Thats why I said be careful, as a quick poke with a screw deiver could be disasterous as could the wrong sort of cleaning chemical. I have used brake cleaner in the past, in an aerosol form but take care, probably some form of parrafin based degreaser such as Jizer (which isn`t so good now after the "Coshh" think hit the fan) best of luck, the intercooler looks quite good really just need to get all the sh*t out from between the fins.It wont half make a difference>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim

    If it's any help I could machine up some covers for you in perspex on one of our cnc machines, If you are interested just give me the dimensions.

    Best Regards ; Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:29 PM

    This is a simple and cheap approach to bodging up some through-fittings to the perspex.

    http://www.truetex.com/bulkhead.htm

    Looking at some of the head-on pix you can see some fairly big chunks of carbon.

    If you go for the through-flush approach, probably putting the flow opposite to the in-use airflow would give the best chance to clear, rather than more deeply lodge chunks like this.

    A less advanced method would be to put a perspex/aluminium/plywood back on one side, then a similar plate part way up on the front to form a reservior on the bottom of the intercooler. Pour in 4 litres of solvent, put the pick-up tube of your spayer in there and spray away.

    When you get bored, siphon the solvent out, swop the panels front-to back and spray from the other side.

    It really looks as though getting the spray effectively deep enough into the forest of fins will be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete