Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Wind generator

Wind generatorThose of you who know me, and have been down to Lady Jane, know what a big fan I am of my wind generator.

Last weekend the generator, which has run perfectly happily for almost three years, had suddenly stopped working for some unexplained reason.

I am completely reliant on power that I make for myself, so not having the wind generator has an immediate impact on me.

For example often on windy weekends I don't need to run a generator at all, as the wind generator provides sufficient power to keep the batteries topped up.

Conveniently, Robin was on board to help with the main engine so his talents were diverted to helping me get the wind generator down.

Here you see Robin building a new gantry to help fetch the wind generator down from atop the mast. The last one he made has disappeared, probably during one of the big clear outs I've had.

By the way, you can also see Fred working away in the background there as well.

Anyway, after a brief struggle Robin and I got the generator down from on high by using the time honoured method of cutting the thing down. It was well jammed into it's fitting and resisted all efforts at 'friendly persuasion' to get it off.

It's now winging it's way back to the manufacturers, Eclectic Energy, to see what the problem is. Incidentally, I'm featured in one of their monthly magazines (April 05).

Hopefully it's just something simple, and quickly put right.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:36 PM

    I get it...fan of wind generator/blades like a fan...bit of bad luck with it...chin up and all that stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks anonymous.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy, if it's not heat, it's electricity ~ always something, isn't it? Currently a bit on the chilled side myself, but I do have power! Hope it's a very quick and inexpensive fix for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jamie

    You are right there - always something.

    It seems the more I do, the more I have to maintain behind me.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:01 PM

    The saying is .....a boat is an indintation in the water into which your money disapears...or somthing to that effect...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anonymous

    Yup, money is always a problem.

    It's basically the money which dictates the pace of work on Lady Jane.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete