Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Beautiful wood

Beautiful woodThis wood cladding in the stern accommodation has so far exceeded my wildest expectations.

I was originally going to use plywood for this part, but am so pleased I did not.

Sadly, the photographs do not do it justice at all.

The beautiful curving shape in all three directions just does not show up in the pictures. I took a few to try to portray the effect, but it's just not happening.

This has truly been a team effort. Special thanks have to go to Andy, who toiled away until we were both completely exhausted.

Now I have the first part done, I'm really motivated to get going and get the rest of the panelling up now.

Once all the woodwork is done, and it's all sanded down silky smooth, I'll finish it off with a few coats of varnish.

14 comments:

  1. Fred (wwr)12:15 PM

    WOW Tim,

    When you get the finish on that, it will be absolutely beautiful. I love wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fred

    I forgot to mention the lovely smell of fresh cut pine as well.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim

    I like the cladding ,exactly what I would like to do on the Strathspey,I hope mine will look as good as yours.Is it butt-edge or tongue and groove ?
    It must be good to work with some wood for a change.
    Lady Jane is looking nice and festive
    Happy Christmas to you

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrew

    It's tongue & grove, with the ends but joined.

    Tongue & groove worked really well, and yup - the woodwork is fun.

    Clean as well.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rick & Karen

    You guys were on my mind the whole weekend we were doing this - thinking of how the Wanderbird was done.

    Thanks for the help there.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:05 PM

    Looking good Tim...have you thought of air quality below deck in this space....some materials/ finishes give off some awful chemicals.We are getting well into winter over here.Bottom portion of harbour frozen over.Happy Christmas.Tony Roberts,St.Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blimey, that looks wicked! One day far far into the future I'll be doing something similar (sigh)...well done to you and team.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tony

    Thanks for that - it's certainly something I want to make sure I have - a place that is pleasant to be.

    Have a good Christmas yourself.

    Best regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Seb & Becky

    It won't be to long before you guys catch up then overtake me.

    Then you will be the trailblazers :)

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes with old wooden boat trailing third !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!! It's starting to look like IKEA in there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Litoralis

    I take that as a compliment :)

    btw, I don't read your great blog nearly regularly enough.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is all the final finishing that one does that seems the most satisfying. Well, it is to me. Getting to be able to do that is such a journey. Looks lovely Tim.

    ReplyDelete