Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Batteries

BatteriesSo I've spent a fair old while fussing with my battery bank just recently.

What prompted this has been the new central heating system.

It turns out that the central heating system will only run off of a pure sine wave inverter, not just any old inverter.

Inverters convert battery power, in my case 24V DC, into mains electric power, 230 V AC here in the UK.

My current inverter is a pseudo sine wave inverter. So called because the power it produces is not exactly the same as mains electrify, rather a rough version which is good enough for most electrical devices. They are also cheaper than pure sine inverters.

Anyway, I had to splash out on a new pure sine inverter, so turned to Sterling Power who have done me proud in the past.

While on Sterling Power's web site I also stumbled across their Battery Refresher, which sounded just the ticket for my poor old battery bank.

The battery refresher apparently rejuvenates batteries by removing the sulphate build up on battery plates. This build up is the reason batteries no longer hold their charge, which is exactly the problem I believe have.

My time was spent on giving the battery bank a good clean, and pumping charge into the batteries so the battery refresher could work, as it needs 12.8V to run. Something the batteries can only do with the aid of plenty of wind, or the generator, at the moment as they don't hold their charge. I am hoping this de-sulphation unit will resolve this issue.

I know I need a second unit for my 24V battery bank, but my empty wallet dictates at present.

I'm also lusting after a power management panel and a 230 volt crossover switch from Sterling, as they sound just the job for a quality boat such as Lady Jane.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tim I like the idea of the battery "de sulfate ising" kit there are also on the market, small battery chargers that do this too as part of the float charging. I thought of getting a couple of these, but I will hold fire until I hear how you get on! can you let me know it it works well? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob

    Will do.

    They say that it takes 6-8 weeks to finally get results, as the process is slow.

    The problem I have is pumping enough charge into the batteries so the device works 24hrs per day when I'm not there (12.8v).

    There is not enough wind about at the moment to do this, so I need to run a generator when I'm there on the weekends to move it along.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are they rigid about the amount of charge in the batteries why not phone them and speak with him. he`s a nice guy, if a little short on patients with idiots like me. He might be able to throw some light on to how you could maybe increase the voltage in your batteries temporarily to enable you to do this. Say by linking two togeather so that you have 24 volts?????? which may last the time that you arent there?
    Just a dumb thought I guess?
    Take care thanks for letting me know how it works (eventually)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No spam comments please

    ReplyDelete
  5. STOP POSTING SPAM HERE

    THAT MEANS YOU

    ReplyDelete