Monday, August 20, 2007

Hot water

Solving the freshwater water supply problem has had an interesting side effect....

Immediately before leaving Fareham, my gas fired water heater had finally gave up the ghost. Asides for the timing, it was not something I was terribly unhappy with as it struggled to heat water sufficiently for a decent shower anyway. Especially in winter.

Hot waterTo get around the immediate problem of the dead heater, with Malcolm's help, I installed a hot water cylinder which could be heated with an immersion heater or a central heating boiler.

The 2.3KW immersion heater obviously sucks a lot of power.

As part of conserving water on board we have been showering ashore at the marina where the rib is kept, so water heating has not really been an issue.

Now showering on board is possible, and preferred, I need to run the big generator to heat the water. This is not a problem if I need to use a generator anyway, but otherwise seems noisy and a hassle for everyone, especially on what would otherwise be quiet and peaceful evenings.

Thinking forwards to winter, now seems the perfect time to get my diesel fired heating system installed. This should mean no more noisy generator running before shower time, assuming the central heating system pump etc. will be able to run off of my battery bank, and a warm, dry boat for the winter.

Co-incidentally, it has been almost exactly a year since I was last at this juncture.

1 comment:

  1. Is it really a year? :o)) Christ time passes quickly doesnt it?

    ReplyDelete