Monday, July 09, 2007

Turbo in

The turbo is inThe turbo has been successfully reinstalled.

It took a bit of persuading to get in, but things worked out well in the end.

You can see Trevor, of ABB, getting stuck in there fastening up the exhaust side of the turbo.

The inset shows one of the tin cans my new turbo bearings arrived in. It seems amazing to me that new bearings should be sealed in tin cans like so much jam.

There is definitely something strange about having to use a tin opener in the engine room, though there is no doubt that the bearings are brand new, and that they have not been damaged in transit.

Trevor did a good job of cleaning up the internals of the turbo.

Turbo insidesThe second picture shows the main shaft of the turbo - to me it looks more like a miniature jet engine part, rather than something out of a rusty old fishing trawler.

I will have to wait until I get the right oil into the turbo before I can finally flash up Lady Jane's engine, and see what effect all this work has had.

Special thanks to Trevor and ABB for making this all happen.

7 comments:

  1. Imagine machining all that kit and then balancing it? you can see why it costs so much to have anything done, Turbo wise. When I sent mine off to be refurbished I noted a dink on one of the vanes and remembered a time previously when an engineer working close, slipped with a wrench and sheepishly said something like Oh thats ok or it will be alright. I didnt check it out but now guess that was what he was reffering to. Its important not to let anything at all hit the turbo when its running as it will knock it totally out of balance, I had the filter off mine at the time of the work, so I guess its was my fault really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob

    Sounds like you were lucky.

    Trevor told me of an engineer who dropped a wingnut, from the filter case, into a big running turbo causing it to literally explode!

    The lesson I've learned is that the filter always stays on while the turbo is running.

    Now I know more about it, I'll incorporate checks on the turbo into my routine when starting/running the engine.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunatel like you I never run the engine with the turbo uncovered this happened by the engineer somehow slipping with a wrench and hitting the pointed end of the inlet turbine! you mentioned that it looks like a jet engine? there is a site on the net where guys are doing exactly that by converting vehicular turbines into actual jet turbines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes ! Im sure you know already but never switch off your engine while it is running at above tickover, (always allow it to slow down and settle for a couple of minutes) as the oil is stopped to the bearing of the turbine before it has stopped having a requirement for it, thus wear occurs that isn`t necessary and the seals may eventually wear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rob

    Thanks for that.

    Hopefully the turbo will now give me years and years of trouble free service.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tim

    Thanks for the very informative descriptions of turbo maintenance.

    In the picture is that asbestos cloth lagging on the exhaust pipes? Does your research tell you the asbestos is safe to leave in the engine room --- no launching of fibres into the air and your lungs? Or do you recommend removing it? I have some on the exhaust stack of the (smaller) engine in my (smaller) ex-fish boat that I've been wondering what to do about.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dan

    The asbestos lagging is not something I've spent any time concerning myself with.

    My understanding is that it's all perfectly ok as long as it stays undisturbed.

    Removing and disposing of it is something that would need looking into in more detail.

    I'm sure there is plenty about it on the web for when I do need to worry about it.

    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete