Thursday, May 24, 2007

Tool time

I'd say that the one tool that's probably been used the most on Lady Jane has been my trusty little angle grinder.

Recently the 'trusty' angle grinder started playing up, like it was running on weak electricity or something.

My thought at the time was 'what a nuisance, I've not finished this job', coupled with the satisfaction of knowing I had actually managed to wear out an angle grinder.

Anyway, time for a new one.

Tool timeAfter some research I opted for this DeWalt. It has a higher wattage motor than most of the others I looked at. The bigger motor also makes it a little heavier.

The down side was it was more expensive than most of the others, but then I believe you generally get what you pay for, and I don't mind paying a bit more for good tools.

In practice, the stronger motor makes a big difference to grinding performance, plus it has a long power cord which is surprisingly handy almost immediately.

As it turned out, with the knowledge I could not make things worse, I dismantled the old one, gave it a good old clean out, re-assembled it and now the 'trusty' old angle grinder works just fine again.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:30 PM

    Cool blog Tim! What kind of speed are you hoping to get out of Lady Jane?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there anonymous

    LJ will probably cruise at about 8-10 knots.

    I'm not sure, as I've not spent that much time at sea yet.

    ReplyDelete