Thursday, May 31, 2007

Main engine

Main engineHere is Lady Jane's main engine.

If it looks huge, that's because it is.

Every now and then, about once a month or so, I give it a bit of a run to help keep the cobwebs out.

Here is a link to a video clip I've made of the engine running. The clip will load, then play. I don't how to get the clip to play immediately, so bear with me.

Asides for a recent oil change, it's been a while since I've done any work on the engine at all.

I really need to give it a good clean and a lick of paint soon.

During the last run up, I noticed that one of the air start valves has become stuck. I've got some head scratching to do while I work out how to go about fixing that.

6 comments:

  1. is this the sort of thing?

    http://marinediesels.info/2_stroke_engine_parts/other_info/air_start_valve.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. try this address the previous one was incomplete. who know thie one may be too by the time it gets to you??

    http:marinediesels.info/2
    _stroke_engine_parts/other
    _info/air_start_valve.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rob

    The Sulzer operation is exactly like it.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is neat Tim. Greig will find that really interesting and I'll show it to him when the internet is back up at home again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie Miles2:37 AM

    Hey TZ. Sometimes that happens here and we can beat it by releasing the compression on the cylinders and barring the engine around almost a complete, but not quite, cycle. Usually takes care of that. We miss you. Wanderbird

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Captains Rick & Karen, Maggie, Pilot, Hector et al.

    I'll give that a try, thanks.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete