Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Welding cracks

I've made a start on welding those cracks on deck.

Welding cracksThe picture shows the typical scenario, cracks right at the base of the stanchions which hold the deck rails (the red marks in the white powder).

Those cracks have caused the steel plate on either side of the deck to waste away, and in turn have caused massive corrosion in the bow plate below as well.

What happens when I try to weld over the crack is that once the weld cools down, the thin steel to one side of the original crack cracks open.

I've welded some of the cracks successfully and re-welded some of the new cracks successfully, but on one of the stanchions I will need to weld yet another crack that has opened up.

Unfortunately this approach is obviously not going to work, as that steel is so thin it's only a matter of time before it cracks open again, no matter how much welding I do.

Robin has done one for me, but it looks like I have no option but to cut back the old wasted sections and weld new steel plate under every single one of those stanchions, plus add a footing plate to stop this happening if the rails ever get another knock at some point.

All a much bigger task than I was anticipating, as I have seven of them to do.

At least this will help build my welding skills.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:27 PM

    Goodluck Tim, it looks to be a huge task.
    What's with the updating at 10:27AM?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks anon

    Just wondered if anyone noticed the time!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim not an unusual task on an old boat well it wasnt on mine but being 40+ foot and not the size of yours made it easier! I would cut or have cut some nicely shaped plates all the same shape in two halves and eventually go around all the relevant stancheons then it will look like it was an originally intended reinforcing part of the design also if they are shaped instead of round not only are they stronger they are easier to weld as you don`t have to stop? Just a thought. make a pattern in ply or hardboard and get/borrow a plasma/profile cutter to do it for you. Just a thought. boy will you be a good welder when you have finished! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again Tim! I noticed that you had replaced the steering solenoid! what did you do in the end? did you manage to get a suitable one or did you go for a 12/24 volt similar replacement?
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rob

    In the end I fixed the steering solenoid. As it turned out, it had simply rusted in place.

    I used the screws and bolts from a 24V solenoid, that the bloke at Solent Fluid Power had to hand, to replace the ones I had to cut off.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob

    I'm thinking I'll need to cut and weld two plates per stanchion.

    The first to replace the wasted steel, cut to the shape of the nearest good steel. Some of these will need to be quite big.

    The second will be the reinforcing pieces you mentioned, to go on top of the new steel plates.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  7. whoaaaa mure of a job than I first thought then! very best of luck! glad you could sort the solenoid. so easily

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a tough call Rob - do the job properly, for once and for all, or make do for now and deal with the consequences later.

    ReplyDelete