Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Last tasks

The realisation that I'm finally sailing away from Fareham for good is slowly sinking in.

I will miss the place.

Last tasksRight now, the scramble is on to get the myriad of little bits and pieces done in time for the voyage this weekend.

The picture shows the engine vent pipe getting sorted.

The weather is not helping at all - with lots of rain four days out of the last five that I've been on Lady Jane.

It's a strange mix of emotions that the impending move brings.

On the one hand, there is eager anticipation for the excitement of the actual trip, and the prospect of once again being back on a busy stretch of water with a completely different view.

On the other hand though, there is genuine sadness at having to say goodbye to some of the folks I've got to know over the years.

I've already said my goodbyes to the lovely Paula, an occasional visitor to the Lafarge yard to survey their inventory of gravel, who has stopped by for a cup of tea and a chat when she has been around.

Some folk, like Fred and Malcolm, will still come over to visit once I'm on the Itchen, but I fear it won't be the same casual wander over to Lady Jane from just across the way that it has been.

There is also, it has to be said, a certain amount of nervousness at having to move Lady Jane in what feels like quite rushed circumstances, although I've done everything possible to ensure a safe passage for us all.

Overall though, I am looking forward to going.

My biggest regret about the timing of the move is that Fred, who has put so much hard work into Lady Jane in the last few years, will not be with us for the trip, as he is still languishing somewhere in Australia.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tim,

    So where are you moving the ship? I'm sure it is a bittersweet move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hilarie

    I'm moving Lady Jane round to the River Itchem, in Southampton, where I've kept her mooring.

    Not that far of a journey really.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a safe trip. It can be a bit isolated on a mooring with only a tender for company. Have a good means of securing it when you arent there or are visiting ashore with it! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rob

    The mooring will be hard work - all the gear needs to be lugged across the water in some form of boat or other, so no more nipping up to Somerfield for a forgotten pint of milk!

    I also have some sturdy chain and a handy padlock to help keep the rib where it's supposed to be.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who checks your mooring? we used to dive on the moorings in a well known harbour and it was frightening just how rusted they had become within just a year of being installed. The swivels in particular. I guess that as a diver yourself you will do this? Just a thought! take care have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rob

    The moorings are maintained by ABP, they apparently lift and service them every two years.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete