Friday, February 02, 2007

Rib engine upgrade

It had to be done.

Rib engineMy old, not so reliable, rib (aka HBI) engine has finally been upgraded to a more modern, second hand one.

All done for a pretty good price.

The justification for spending all this money now is that the rib will be used as Lady Jane's life raft and tender, able to push or pull Lady Jane about if needs be.

Initial testing shows that the rib is really going to fly now.

The picture shows the new engine being fitted to the rib by the nice folks at Fairweather Marine. Thanks guys.

You can see the old engine in the inset. I like the idea that it's going to be given to a local college, so it can give some final value to students learning about engines and all that good stuff.

So far I've only been down the creek, as far as Portsmouth harbour, with my new engine. Sadly the speed limit is 10 knots so, of course, I've not been able to crank it up to the max yet.

Suddenly the urge to survey my mooring in the Itchen is becoming overpowering.

Hmm, I think I'll take the rib!

No comments:

Post a Comment