Monday, February 19, 2007

Deck plates

I'm making steady progress on the list of things to do.

Deck platesThe picture shows the deck plates in the engine room finally being secured.

I had intended to give them a good clean before starting to secure them, but could not resist trying my new Hilti self drilling screws as soon as I could.

You can just see a few of the screws lying on the deck in front of the Hilti screwdriver/drill (Thanks Mark).

The handy thing about these screws is that all you need to fit them is a drill, nothing else. No fiddling about with a drill, then lining up holes and screwing in those self tapping screws.

I need to put in quite a few of these screws, as almost none of the deck plates are still fastened down.

I also need to replace a missing plate, as it seems to have got itself lost over the last few years.

4 comments:

  1. The old self drilling screws have revolutionised the decking industry, especially when used with the cartrige attachment (which looks like an old thompson machine gun magazine.) I used them when I clad the steel deck of my old steel cruiser ready to take her new deck, boy did that save some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - it's almost too easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I forgot to mention that if you are thinking of cutting the pertruding screw off where it pokes through the bottom of the angle iron or steel supports! I used an old rawlplug tool holder (like a coal chistle with a hole in the end to take a high tensile steel bit that one used to hammer and twist until a suitable hole was made in concrete or brick etc Im sure you remember them) and slipped it over the screw and with a quick wiggle the screw breaks at the bottom of the support. In some cases a sharp tap from a hammer was all it took! Just a thought, it saves getting the old mini anglegrinder out should you deciode that when climbing in the bilge you dont want a screw sticking into your back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob

    I was thinking 'Why would I want to do that?', until I read your last sentence.

    Makes sense now!

    ReplyDelete