Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Bilge filter box

Essential work in the engine room is progressing steadily, and I'm pleased to say it's not all bad news.

Bilge filter boxWhile we are on the subject of filter boxes, here is the bilge filter box. Ready for a first coat of paint.

This box is in fairly good condition, despite the grim look which is the result of a coating of Rustroy rust converter.

I suspect the reason for the marked difference between this and the port inlet filter box is that this box still had some annode left, bolted to the inside of the top lid, which must have afforded some level of protection from the salty water in the system.

It is possible, that both this and the starboard filter box, which is also in pretty good shape, have been replaced at some point.

A few coats of green paint on this filter box, and on the newly installed bilge pipes, will mark the start of the engine room cleanup operation, I'm starting here simply because it's an easy place to start.

I've been having a hard time getting started with the engine room cleanup project, as I know it's going to be a long, filthy, job during which more pressing issues will no doubt reveal themselves to me.

It's got to be done and I'm sure the end result, a clean and freshly painted engine room, will be well worth it.

I doubt I'll ever be able to eat my dinner off the engine room floor though, unlike some engine rooms I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment