Thursday, September 07, 2006

Rust busting

Rust bustingAnother rust busting entry!

Here's the routine with the Hilti TE104, the best tool I've found for rust busting so far, though I prefer using a chisel point, rather than the needle gun attachment for this type of work.

With two floodlights trained on the space I'm working on, one from the left and one from the right, so I can see the rust clearly in all it's glory:

  • Put on ear defenders, goggles and gloves (the hat was for artistic effect).

  • Work at the rust until I can't see anything through the misted up goggles.

  • Escape from the ear defenders, goggles and gloves

  • Clear out the flakes of rust.

  • Put on ear defenders, goggles and gloves.

  • Work at the rust until I can't see anything through the misted up goggles.

  • Escape from the ear defenders, goggles and gloves

  • Clear out the flakes of rust.

  • Put on ear defenders, goggles and gloves.

  • Escape from the ear defenders, goggles and gloves

  • Work at the rust until I can't see anything through the misted up goggles.

  • Clear out the flakes of rust. When the tin is full I get a break.

  • .

  • .

  • .

  • Vacuum the place I've been working on to make sure I've got everything. The filter on the vacuum is hopeless with the fine dust, so I have a vent pipe to the outside attached. This helps keep the rust dust down to levels such that a mask is not really needed.

  • Put on ear defenders, goggles and gloves.

  • Work at the rust until I can't see anything through the misted up goggles.

  • Escape from the ear defenders, goggles and gloves

  • Clear out the flakes of rust.

  • Vacuum again

The right hand panel is pretty much done, as you can see. An hour later, the panel on the left was looking pretty much the same as the one on the right.

Physically demanding work, and needless to say - very noisy, but it's got to be done.

3 comments:

  1. :-) 9*20 litre tins of rust so far, and more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half a tim was probably comprised of Robin's welding rod 'fag' ends, from the bulkhead replacement project.

    T

    ReplyDelete