Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Deckhead insulation continued

Deckhead insulationHere is the finished, insulated, product for this part of the deckhead.

I've still got to insulate the section of deckhead which lies beneath the galley, but this is waiting on the galley underfloor heating project.

What I've done is to cut and fit the Celotex boards, then I've filled in all the gaps and joints with two part polyurethane spray foam insulation.

In effect, getting the best of both worlds. I get the value of the insulating boards, which I think is less expensive per square metre than the spray foam, and the value of thorough insulation with any gaps well filled with the spray foam.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that spray insulation is so much quicker and easier than cutting and fitting all of those boards.

So far as the boat is concerned, I believe the combination of Celotex and the spray foam insulation will prevent any condensation issues, as all of the steel, so far as is practical, is now covered with insulating material and I'm confident that moisture simply will not be able to penetrate through to the underlying steel and cause rust issues.

I also have the benefit of being able to remove the insulation relatively easily, in the event I need to get to the steel behind it all.

Only time will tell if this all went according to plan.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rob

    Hopefully the end of condensation issues, as we discueed on prior posts.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me! as its sealed and no more air can get in then that should be the case, Ireland as a trip sounds good to me! a couple along from me at the marina bought a boat and holidayed on it for six weeks whilst learning to use it and took it back to ireland. I never heard if they got there OK but I guess they did.

    ReplyDelete