Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Heating chamber

Heating chamberOne of the crucial elements of applying the spray foam insulation correctly is the temperature, with 27 degrees apparently being the optimum.

My idea was to build a box which I could use to heat, and keep heated, the spray foam insulation cylinders, without having to overstretch my poor little generator if I could avoid it.

It worked!

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the heating chamber worked out. Soon it will get pressed into service as a coolbox, it was over-engineered for just that purpose.

In the event, the generator did not have to work nearly as hard as I thought it would, and the cylinders themselves stayed at the required temperature for far longer than I thought they would before the fan heater kicked in to top up the temperature again.

The picture shows the spray foam insulation cylinders nestled in the heating chamber, with a cheap fan heater slotted in between them.

I monitored the temperature of the chamber by using a remote temperature sensor, which I got with Lady Jane when I bought her, as obviously having the cylinders heat up too much would have been a little troublesome!

I love it when a plan comes together.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Great thinking, I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete