Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Back deck

How satisfying, look at the difference in that back deck!

Back deck

What I had been expecting to be a straightforward project has taken far longer than expected to complete.

The first picture, on the left, was taken just short of a year ago now.

What is a little sad, in some respects, is that people who now see the back deck have no idea of how much effort, by so many people, it has taken to look like it now does.

I'm expecting this particular paint job to last years and years, as I've cleaned up the rust etc. as best as I possibly could and have used Hempel paint, which is widely regarded as a top quality marine paint.

The matt finish you can see is Hempel non-skid paint, which gives the deck a rough finish, similar to coarse sandpaper, which makes walking about on deck in the wet much safer.

The only small job left to do now is to re-install, and test, the stern lamp and the back deck project will then truly be complete.

12 comments:

  1. She's really starting to look like something you could "live" on. I really enjoy watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to see it finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jake, won't be long before I move on-board (I hope).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Rik, another step forwards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fred (WWR)1:11 AM

    Wow Tim! It is really exciting to see the progress. It looks like things are finally starting to fall into place. A big thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even in the short time I have been watching your site you have made great progress! not sure about the green,Hempel though, it looks like astro turf :o)) now theres a thought? Is it your intention to sail her when she is finished?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Fred, welcome back.

    Lady Jane is fast becoming something I'm really proud of.

    Thanks for the positive comment.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rob

    The Hempel choice for non skid paint was green or grey.

    I know I could have used sand in any old paint, but opted to use the real thing, as I don't really know what I'm doing!

    On the subject of my massive progress, you have the advantage of joining me just as a whole series of long running projects are coming to fruition.

    As to the sailing, I'm planning on taking her for a spin in late summer, project progress depending obviously.

    Sailing plans in the longer term?

    Absolutely. There is quite a list of places I would love to see and things I really want to do - Greenland for a start.

    Wanderbird is maybe going to Antarctic on a charter this winter, a trip I'm v. envious of.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW TZ! W've been out to sea for a bit and just now are getting caught up on your progress...Champion Old Man, just champion! We hope to be sharing an anchorage in some remote location before too long! Your friends, R&K

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Captains Rick & Karen.

    Not too long hopefully!

    T

    ReplyDelete