Monday, May 15, 2006

8 Chicks

8 ChicksMrs Duck's eggs have hatched.

The little chicks are soo cute.

I must have arived on Lady Jane only hours after the eggs had hatched, and already the ducklings were off the deck, into the water and around onto the platform which you see in the picture.

This pictue was taken when the ducklings were a few days old already.

I spent quite some time just watching the little blighters swimming and scurrying about. They bob about like little corks and are quite capable swimmers, though the process of getting into the water from the platform can be a bit haphazard.

Now I have the full use of my deck back, but seem to have lost the use of my platform.

4 comments:

  1. I normally don't say stuff like this, but, they are so cute!

    "Now I have the full use of my deck back, but seem to have lost the use of my platform."

    Lol, you win some, you lose some :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rik, I'm with you on the 'so cute' thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:14 AM

    The ducklings need a ramp to get back out of the water otherwise they drown. Small ducklings can only swim for just so long - their down is not very water-repellant and soon becomes water-logged and they die of exhaustion/hypothermia or simply drown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little things...

    ReplyDelete